Home Friend Finder Movies Classifieds 24hrs nagpur Jokes Web Directory Jobs
Nagpur At Glance - place to visit - high court
No Image
High Court

Image A full fledged High Court was established at Nagpur on 9-1-1936. Sir Gilbert Stone,a Judge of the Madras High Court was appointed as first Chief Justice. The foundation stone of the new building (present High Court building) was laid by late Sir Hyde Gowan on 9-1-1937. The building was designed by Mr.H.A.N. Medd, Resident Architect. It was constructed at a cost of Rs.7,37,746/-.The building consisted of two stories with a garden courtyard in the centre. The outside dimensions are 400 ft x 230ft. The original design provided for a main central dome rising 109 feet above ground land, the remainder of thebuilding being approximately 52 feet in height. The building has been constructed with sandstone. The building has Ashlar stone facing and brick hearting. The flooring in the corridors and offices is of Sikosa and Shahabad flag stones. The building is declared open on 6th January, 1940. On the opening ceremony the Viceroy of India described this building as a poem in stone. The High Court has a fairly well planned garden on the eastern as well as western sides.


The High Court of Judicature at Nagpur continued to be housed in this building till the
reorganisation of States in 1956. With effect from 1-11-1956, eight Marathi speaking districts of Vidarbha formed part of the greater bi-lingual State of Bombay which came into existence. Remaining fourteen Hindi speaking districts of the former State of Madhya Pradesh became part of the newly constituted State of Madhya Pradesh with the capital at Bhopal. The High Court of Madhya Pradesh was treated as successor of the former High Court at Nagpur.

A Bench of the High Court at Bombay began to sit in this building at Nagpur with effect
from 1-11-1956 and continues to do so even after the formation of the State of Maharashtra on 1-5-1960. During year 1960 the strength of this Bench consisted of four Honourable Judges.

The extension of High Court building consists of two annex buildings on both sides of the
existing building viz., North and South Wings. For this Government of Maharashtra has sanctioned Rs.1,29,26,605/- on dated 21st March, 1983. `South Wing houses various utilities for public, i.e. litigants and the Bar as well as High Court Government Pleaders Establishment including Standing Coursel for Central Government and `A Panel Counsels, and also for the establishment. In the North Wing, it is proposed to accommodate additional Court Halls, Chambers of the Hobble Judges, Judges Liabrary and the office.

Presently, the strength of this Bench consists of 10 Honourable Judges and total
employees are 412.

Other Result For Nagpur At Glance
Associations
City Of Peths
Garden and Lake
govt. offices
Industries
PostOffice
Religious Nagpur
Ward No
welfare org
Zoo
Look For More place to visit
Looking For More Picnic And Resort
Other Categories
Nagpur History Nagpur Picnic And Resort Nagpur 24hour Nagpur Tours And Travels Nagpur Computer And IT
History Picnic And Resort 24 Hours Tours And Travels Computer And IT
Nagpur Events
Events Club And Restaurant Shop Nagpur At Glance Special Category
 
Woman Education Industry Health Care